New tables that you create in Google Docs often take up the entire width of the page. Use these steps to make a table smaller in Google Docs.
- Open the document with the table.
- Select all of the table cells.
- Right-click on the table, then choose Table properties.
- Check the Column width box and enter a width for your columns.
- Make any other desired adjustments, then click OK.
Our article continues below with additional information and pictures for these steps.
Google Docs makes it easy to create a table by going to the Insert > Table menu. But a table that you create will take up the entire page, which you may not want.
Fortunately there is a way to edit elements of the table, including the width of the columns.
Our guide below will show you how to select the table, modify a setting, and ultimately make a table smaller in Google Docs.
How to Make a Google Docs Table Smaller
The steps in this article were performed in the desktop version of the Google Chrome Web browser, but will also work in other desktop browsers like Firefox or Edge.
Step 1: Sign into your Google Drive and open your Google Docs file.
Step 2: Click on the bottom-right cell and drag to the top-left cell to select the entire table.
Step 3: Right-click inside any table cell and choose the Table properties option.
Step 4: Check the box to the left of Column width, then enter the desired width for each column.
Step 5: Adjust any of the other settings on this menu (for example, you may want to change the table alignment to “Center”), then click the OK button.
You should now have a smaller table that doesn’t take up the entire width of the document, as in the picture below.
- How to strikethrough in Google Docs
- How to make 1 inch margins in Google Docs
- How to remove page numbers in Google Docs
- How to insert a text box in Google Docs
- How to double space in Google Docs on an iPhone