Editing a document can include a lot of different changes and adjustments. Sometimes these changes are small, but occasionally you might need to make a larger edit. For example, you might need to know how to add a new page to Google Docs if you’ve forgotten a section or want to add additional information.
Customizing a Google Docs document from your Google Drive is a great alternative to word processor programs like Microsoft Word. You can perform many of the same functions that are found in Microsoft Word, such as adding page numbers or changing margins, although their location in Google Drive will typically require a little bit of learning if you aren’t used to the application.
One thing that you may want to accomplish is the addition of a new page. This could be simply moving to the second page from a title page without the need to press the Enter key a bunch of times, or if you’re on the first page of your document and want to move to the second one without waiting for Google Docs to do it automatically. Our tutorial below is going to show you how to add a new page in Google Docs by inserting a page break.
How to Add a New Page to Google Docs
- Open your document.
- Click at the point where you want to insert the new page.
- Select the Insert tab at the top of the window.
- Choose the Break option, then click Page break.
Our article continues below with additional information on adding a new page in Google Docs, including pictures of these steps.
How to Create a New Page in Google Docs Using a Page Break (Guide with Pictures)
The steps in this article were performed in the Google Chrome desktop Web browser. These steps will also work in other desktop Web browsers like Firefox or Edge.
Step 1: Sign into your Google Drive at https://drive.google.com and open the Google document to which you wish to add a new page.
Step 2: Select the point in your document where you wish to add the new page.
I am placing it after my table of contents in the image below.
Step 3: Choose the Insert tab at the top of the window.
Step 4: Select the Breaks option, then click the Page break option.
More Tips on Adding a New Page in Google Docs
- You can perform many actions in Google Docs using the mobile apps that are available for Android and iOS.
- If you elect to add a new page to your document and you already have page numbers, that numbering will update automatically to adjust for the inclusion of the new page, assuming that you have used the built-in page numbering function of Google Docs.
- If you double-click in the header section of one of the pages in the document you will be able to add or edit information in the header.
- If you like keyboard shortcuts, then you will be happy to know that there is one for this. Simply click where you want to add the new page, then press Ctrl + Enter on your keyboard.
- If you’re looking for a simple way to create a table of contents like the one I have in the guide above simply apply Heading formatting to different sections of your Google document, then use the Table of contents option at the bottom of the Insert menu. Google Docs will then add the table of contents to the document automatically.
- If your document also needs page numbers, you can apply them by going to Insert > Header & page number and then choosing one of the page numbers options.
- Expanding further on the page numbers options in Google Docs, you have the option to add them to several different locations, such as the top of the page, at the top right of the page, or at the bottom right of the page. You can even choose to have a different first page for your page numbers if you wish.
How to Add Page Breaks in the Google Docs Mobile App
While it’s fairly easy to add new blank pages to your document by expanding the Insert menu then choosing the page break option from the drop down menu, it is a little different on a mobile device.
To add a blank page in the Google Docs app you need to open the document from within the app, or tap the plus icon to create a new document.
You can then tap the little pencil icon at the bottom right corner of the screen, then either tap in a spot on the current page where you want to add your new pages, or scroll through the document and tap on the spot on one of the other pages where you want the new page. Note that you need to tap at the spot on the page to make the cursor appear.
You can then tap the gray plus icon among the horizontal menu of controls at the top of the screen.
As you scroll through this drop down list of formatting options you should see a “Page break” option appear at the bottom left corner of the screen. You can then tap that option to insert a page break.
For additional information on using page numbers in Google Docs, check out this article that will walk you through the process of including your last name and page number on each page, which is often a requirement at some schools and organizations.
Kermit Matthews is a freelance writer based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with more than a decade of experience writing technology guides. He has a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Computer Science and has spent much of his professional career in IT management.
He specializes in writing content about iPhones, Android devices, Microsoft Office and many other popular applications and devices.