It’s impractical to count words manually in most word processors like Microsoft Word or Google Docs. Luckily both of these applications include a word count tool that will show this information with just a couple of clicks.
But you might need to know other information about a document, such as the number of pages, or the number of characters in the document. These types of document statistics are important for journalists and bloggers that need to meet certain document size or length requirements.
Luckily Microsoft Word has a character counter tool that you can find in the proofing section of the application.
How to Get a Microsoft Word Character Count
- Open the Microsoft Word document.
- Select the Review tab at the top of the window.
- Click the Word Count button.
Our article continues below with additional information on finding the character count in Microsoft Word, including pictures of these steps.
How to See the Microsoft Word Character Count in Word 2016, 2019, or Word for Office 365 (Guide with Pictures)
The steps in this article were performed in the Word for Microsoft Office 365 version of the application, but will also work for most other versions of Word as well.
Step 1: Open your Word document.
Step 2: Click the Review tab near the top of the window.
Step 3: Click the Word Count button in the Proofing section of the ribbon.
Step 4: Find the number of characters next to the desired table label.
Additional Information on the Microsoft Word Character Count Tool
- Note that the character count information is shown on a pop-up window that also displays the number of pages, number of words, number of paragraphs, and number of lines.
- You can click the check box at the bottom of the window to choose whether or not you would like these counts to include the footnotes, endnotes, or text boxes.
- If you need a word or character count and your chosen word processing application doesn’t have that tool, then consider creating a free Google Account. This give you access to Google Drive, which includes Google Docs. There you can create documents and view word and character counts.
- Getting a Microsoft Word character count will take you to a screen that provides a lot of other useful information, such as the word count in the document.
- The number of characters in the Word document will be shown both with spaces and without spaces.
- This guide how to count characters in MS Word by going through the ribbon, but you can also see the pop-up window with this information by clicking the word counter in the status bar at the bottom of the window.
Find out how to double space in Microsoft Word if your school or workplace requires it and you need to know how to apply that formatting to your document.
Kermit Matthews is a freelance writer based in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with more than a decade of experience writing technology guides. He has a Bachelor’s and Master’s degree in Computer Science and has spent much of his professional career in IT management.
He specializes in writing content about iPhones, Android devices, Microsoft Office and many other popular applications and devices.