- While most of the chime sounds that you hear on an Apple Watch will occur on the hour, it’s possible that your device is configured to chime at different intervals.
- The steps in this article are performed using the Watch app on an iPhone.
- Apple Watch users without an iPhone can also complete these actions directly from the Apple Watch by going to Settings > Accessibility > Chimes.
A digital watch such as the Apple Watch can produce a variety of sounds based on what you are doing, or what notifications you are receiving on a paired iPhone.
One of the sounds that you might be hearing is an hourly chime. This is a setting that’s meant to be a minimally intrusive way to let you know that a new hour has started.
But if you are one of the people that like to minimize the sounds that come from devices like an iPhone, iPad, or Mac computer, then you probably don’t want to hear sounds from your Apple Watch either.
Luckily it’s possible to stop the hourly chimes on an Apple Watch so that you no longer need to hear that sound whenever the hour changes.
How to Stop Hourly Chimes on an Apple Watch
The steps in this article were performed on an iPhone 11 in iOS 13.3.1. The Watch being affected is an Apple Watch Series 2 using watchOS 6.
Step 1: Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone.
Step 2: Select the My Watch tab at the bottom of the screen.
Step 3: Choose the Accessibility option.
Step 4: Touch the Chimes button.
Step 5: Tap the button to the right of Chimes to turn it off.
Additional Information About the Apple Watch Chimes
- This feature is also known as Taptic Chimes. If you have your Apple watch in silent mode then you won’t hear the chime sound. You will only feel the haptic feedback that coincides with the chime sound.
- It’s possible that the chimes are occurring every quarter-hour or on the half-hour. Either way, then method for enabling or disabling the chimes is the same.
- To access the Settings app on the Apple Watch you need to press the crown button on the side of the watch when you see your Home screen on the watch face.
Find out how to disable screenshots on the Apple Watch if you find that you are often taking them by accident when you are interacting with the watch.